ProPublica – Local Reporting Network 2020
Investigation showed how criminal cops avoid jail in New Jersey. Learned the industry’s best reporting practices for source building, project planning and fact-checking.
USA Today Network New Jersey – April 2018 to present
Investigative reporting published by newspapers including the Asbury Park Press, The Record (Bergen County) and USA Today. Impacts include: policy reform for state prosecutions, help for aspiring police recruits and state review of police car chases. I used Python to find New Jersey and Newark lead the nation for racial disparity in police car chase deaths. I used SQL to find cops previously fired from public safety jobs.
Asbury Park Press – November 2014 to April 2018
Lead writer on “Protecting the Shield,” which prompted two statewide police policy reforms, a state law, and placed New Jersey on the path to license police officers. Wrote an award-winning narrative series on a Wall Street stock trader turned bank robber. I learned SQL to expose convicts collecting New Jersey state pensions, including one in prison. I regularly appear on camera for videos with our stories and to speak to media partners about our work.
Florida Today – February 2012 to November 2014 – Highlights include gavel-to-gavel coverage of a cop killer trial with photos, videos, live tweets, and daily stories. One of my investigations exposed a flawed police policy that allowed a murderer to evade police scrutiny and kill again.
- National Association of Black Journalists – Salute to Excellence award for investigative reporting by a local newspaper with circulation under 100,000 for “Deadly Chases, Few Arrests”
- National Headliner Award – Second place for public service in newspapers not in a top 20 media market for “Policing the Police”
- Edward R. Murrow Award – Investigative reporting by digital news organization with fewer than 2.5 million unique monthly visitors for “Protecting the Shield”
- Livingston Award – Finalist for selections from “Protecting the Shield”
- National Association of Black Journalists – Salute to Excellence award for investigative reporting by a local newspaper with circulation under 100,000 for “Protecting the Shield”
- National Headliner Award – Third place in online video 3-10 minutes for “Police Beat Man on Fire”
- American Bar Association Silver Gavel Award – “Protecting the Shield”
- Deadline Club (New York City SPJ) – Reporting by a newspaper with circulation under 100,000 – “Protecting the Shield”
- New Jersey Press Association – First place in public service – “Protecting the Shield”
- New Jersey Press Association – First place in responsible journalism, First Amendment – “Philip Seidle, Killer Cop: Ex-wife ‘did not become a victim until I killed her.’”
- Deadline Club (New York City SPJ) – Reporting by a newspaper with circulation under 100,000 – “Long Fall: From Top Stock Trader to Bank Robber”
- New Jersey SPJ – First place in state/regional journalism, feature writing – “Long Fall: From Top Trader to Bank Robber”
- New Jersey SPJ – First place in best web video – “Death of a Hero”
- New Jersey Press Association – First place in best video – “Death of a Hero”
- New Jersey Press Association – First place in online breaking news – “Father kills Family, Self”
- New Jersey Press Association – First place in reporting and writing, breaking news – “Cop kills Ex-wife on Street”
Python — Proficient. Comfortable with pandas, natural language processing, light web scraping. Spoke at NICAR about federal crash data analyzed with Python.
SQL — Advanced. Assisted a NICAR class on advanced SQL.
Excel — Expert. I’ve taught colleagues on Excel and I use it daily.
Statistics: Proficient. Got an A- in applied statistics at Penn State.
Member of IRE since 2017, member of Mensa since 2008.
University of Florida – Graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Journalism. Outside concentration in poetry.
Penn State University – pursuing a master’s degree in data analytics.