USA Today Network New Jersey – November 2014 to present – I produce revelatory statewide criminal justice reporting published by seven community newspapers including the Asbury Park Press, The Record (Bergen County) and on occasion USA Today. I was the lead writer on a series on police accountability that prompted the state attorney general to make two sweeping changes recommended by the series. My reporting prompted a third policy change to expose bad cops in state prosecutions. I informed a prosecutor’s office a cop they fought to fire was on patrol – and their office was prosecuting his cases. A spokesman for another prosecutor’s office said they didn’t know about a dishonest officer – whose allegations ruined one man’s life and sent two more to jail – until I came asking. I used SQL to find cops previously fired from public safety jobs and expose convicts collecting New Jersey state pensions, including one in prison. I wrote an award-winning narrative series on a Wall Street stockbroker turned bank robber. I regularly appear on camera for videos with our stories and to speak to media partners about our work.
ProPublica Local Reporting Network — 2020— partnered with ProPublica for a yearlong project, learning investigative reporting best practices on workflow, fact-checking and sourcing.
Florida Today – February 2012 to November 2014 – Highlights include gavel-to-gavel coverage of a cop killer trial with photos, videos, live tweets, and daily stories. One of my investigations exposed a flawed police policy that allowed a murderer to evade police scrutiny and kill again.
- National Headliner Award – Second place for public service in newspapers not in a top 20 media market for “Policing the Police”
- Edward R. Murrow Award – Investigative reporting by digital news organization with fewer than 2.5 million unique monthly visitors for “Protecting the Shield”
- Livingston Award – Finalist for selections from “Protecting the Shield”
- National Association of Black Journalists – Salute to Excellence award for investigative reporting by a local newspaper with circulation under 100,000.
- National Headliner Award – Third place in online video 3-10 minutes for “Police Beat Man on Fire”
- American Bar Association Silver Gavel Award – “Protecting the Shield”
- Deadline Club (New York City SPJ) – Reporting by a newspaper with circulation under 100,000 – “Protecting the Shield”
- New Jersey Press Association – First place in public service – “Protecting the Shield”
- New Jersey Press Association – First place in responsible journalism, First Amendment – “Philip Seidle, Killer Cop: Ex-wife ‘did not become a victim until I killed her.’”
- Deadline Club (New York City SPJ) – Reporting by a newspaper with circulation under 100,000 – “Long Fall: From Top Stock Trader to Bank Robber”
- New Jersey SPJ – First place in state/regional journalism, feature writing – “Long Fall: From Top Trader to Bank Robber”
- New Jersey SPJ – First place in best web video – “Death of a Hero”
- New Jersey Press Association – First place in best video – “Death of a Hero”
- New Jersey Press Association – First place in online breaking news – “Father kills Family, Self”
- New Jersey Press Association – First place in reporting and writing, breaking news – “Cop kills Ex-wife on Street”
Python — I completed two IRE classes on Python. I can manipulate .CSVs, perform light data analysis, fuzzy matching and natural language processing.
SQL — I’m very familiar with data analysis in SQL and I assisted a NICAR class on advanced SQL.
Excel — I’ve taught colleagues on Excel and I use it daily.
I’ve made interactive maps through Carto. I’m proficient with Aperture and Final Cut Pro, as well as Photoshop and Premiere. I use Chartbeat and Adobe Analytics to ensure my stories succeed in reaching my audience.
Mensa – Became a member in November 2008. Mensa is a non-profit organization open to people who score at the 98th percentile or higher on a standardized, supervised intelligence test.
University of Florida – Graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Journalism. Outside concentration in poetry.